There’s a new treadmill in the University of Toronto Athletic Centre (AC) that looks a bit strange; I’m sure if you’ve visited the fieldhouse there recently it would have immediately caught your eye. The running surface of the treadmill is curved and it seems to be made of slabs of plastic. I remember the first time I spotted this piece of equipment the thought “human hamster wheel” ran through my head. I present to you, dear reader, with the Woodway Curve.
The Woodway Curve is designed so that it is human-powered, meaning there is no motor. In addition to that there is also no maximum speed. This is supposed to engage a larger amount of muscle groups that are being used in the process, resulting in the individual burning up to 30 percent more calories than if you used a conventional motorized treadmill. It is also advertised as being friendlier to the environment since it is an extremely durable machine, requires no motor and is completely void of any electrical consumption.
Since I live life on the edge I went ahead and gave the Curve a try.
Trying to walk on it at the beginning was a little strange. I think a lot of people are afraid to try it because they think they will slip right off. Once you find the sweet spot where you feel completely balanced, you really feel it working your calves. When I shifted into my run I started feeling more of a burn in my core, calves and quads. Within two minutes of being on the new treadmill it had me sweating like I was running a marathon through the Sahara. During the whole hour that I was on the Curve I did feel like I was working harder than usual, and I noticed that my back was straight the whole time.
Verdict: I am completely in love with this treadmill. I feel like it might be a treadmill that you either love or hate given that it is so unique. I would definitely recommend that you try it at least once to decide for yourself. I found after about 2 weeks worth of use has helped me gain speed in distance running.
Last but not least, if you’re wondering if the claim of burning 30 percent more calories might be true: it is highly possible, but I feel like the calorie counter on the treadmill might be exaggerating the amount of calories I’m burning. On a regular treadmill for an hour I will burn about 600 calories, whereas on the Curve, I burned 850.
This seems like a dreadmill I could like.
- slackerdrive reblogged this from tumblrgym
- cthehippy likes this
- deannacarmen reblogged this from alexercise123
- ayurv3da reblogged this from alexercise123
- simplyjayme96 likes this
- cirque-du-fit likes this
- getting-skinny-one-day-at-a-time reblogged this from tumblrgym and added:
- xroad-to-fitnessx likes this
- dream-w0r1d reblogged this from inspire-to-be-healthy
- inspire-to-be-healthy reblogged this from studentfitspo
- caseycabral reblogged this from chero8p
- thedayafterforeverr likes this
- chero8p reblogged this from 3years2months14days16hours
- chero8p likes this
- fitbody-happysoul likes this
- justme-trustme reblogged this from adjusttheaction
- mermods likes this
- thehiddenkitten likes this
- laughingthroughthefat reblogged this from adjusttheaction
- sothisiseighteen likes this
- mitridae likes this
- micromac likes this
- fitocrat reblogged this from tumblrgym
- toledouncut reblogged this from tumblrgym
- tszgetsfit reblogged this from tumblrgym and added:
- health-in-all-her-glory reblogged this from tumblrgym
- trainer-mico likes this
- ahme likes this
- wtf-boom reblogged this from tumblrgym
- damian921 reblogged this from tumblrgym
- fitchessa likes this
- mewno likes this
- karlibell22 likes this
- serendipity-dooo reblogged this from tumblrgym
- corpsefraker likes this
- fit2besquared reblogged this from tumblrgym
- tyler-wainright likes this
- jessicatomilloso reblogged this from tumblrgym
- healthymindedsara likes this
- mermaidwithasidecut reblogged this from ahmerde and added:
- lancerboy reblogged this from tumblrgym
- lancerboy likes this
- limitlessky likes this
- pattykynz likes this
- samyruwho likes this
- cmeiii likes this
- kinanokea likes this
- howlinheart likes this